MBA Veterans Social Media Campaign - This November, we extend our heartfelt appreciation to the courageous men and women who have served our nation and are currently making significant contributions to Michigan's financial sector. Join us in acknowledging their unwavering dedication, resilience, and commitment to both our country and community through the MBA social media platforms: Facebook , Instagram , X (formerly Twitter) , and LinkedIn .
Throughout the month, we will be sharing valuable advice and inspiring stories to bolster the support for local Veterans in banking. Together, let's make a positive difference!
BankBeat Names Michigander as 2023 Outstanding Woman in Banking
Each autumn, BankBeat - a premier online source for timely or breaking community banking news - recognizes Outstanding Women in Banking. We are thrilled to extend our heartfelt congratulations to Nancy Rosentrater, Chief Operating Officer of Oxford Bank for her well-deserved recognition! Learn more .
OCC Names Head of Office of Minority and Women Inclusion - The OCC on Friday, September 29th announced Shinu Shilesh as executive director for the agency’s Office of Minority and Women Inclusion. In her new role, Shilesh will oversee all agency matters relating to equal employment opportunity, diversity, equity, inclusion and accessibility in management, employment and business activities.
- Top 10 Strategies for Practicing Allyship During Meetings
Report Examines Gender Diversity in Bank Leadership
The Veteran Newsletter by DiversityComm - Veterans Day Edition
- Fed Study Finds ‘Limited Role’ for Racial Bias in Mortgage Lending - They concluded that bias still accounts for some of that gap, but that “racially biased credit decisions appear less common than has been
suggested by previous research.” However, they cautioned the paper’s conclusions must be considered.
The Veteran Newsletter by DiversityComm
Latine vs. Latinx: How and Why They're Used - The terms we use to refer to other people—and ourselves—can communicate a lot about identity, and sometimes even a single letter can make a big difference. Perhaps you know the words Latino and Latina. But have you encountered Latinx or Latine?
Diversity in the Workplace - All You Need to Know in 2022 -
- Diversity in the workplace expands beyond just hiring employees of different genders, races, ages, and backgrounds and calling it a day. As an employer, you should ensure a diverse workplace in all positions and management levels whereas, as an employee, you should strive to be as fully included as all other employees.
- New DEI Training Courses - MBA salutes ABA having launched two new modules promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion (as well as financial inclusion) in the banking industry. "Culturally Respective Customer Service" and "Conscious Bias" are free for ABA members as part of ABA’s Frontline Compliance Training suite. They are designed to teach customer-facing associates how to serve clients of all backgrounds. Learn more about "Culturally Respective Customer Service" Learn more about "Conscious Bias"
Watch Webinar on Bank Partnerships to Protect Seniors - Scammers are targeting America’s seniors, attempting to steal their hard-earned financial assets. Protecting seniors from these scams often requires assistance from non-bank organizations, such as law enforcement or Adult Protective Services (APS). ABA Foundation recently hosted a webinar on how your bank can form and maintain these critical partnerships. Attendees heard directly from bankers and fraud experts on ways to help safeguard the seniors in their communities. Watch the recording.
- Agencies Update List of Areas Eligible for CRA Credit - The federal banking agencies on Friday released the 2022 list of distressed or underserved nonmetropolitan middle-income areas in which banks participating in revitalization or stabilization activities will be considered for Community Reinvestment Act credit. View the list.
- The Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) Advisory Committee on Economic Inclusion (ComE-IN) will meet on Tuesday, June 28, to discuss the Notice of Proposed Rulemaking to modernize the Community Reinvestment Act, and issues of equity in residential property valuation and appraisal. Read full article.
- Banking on Inclusion Podcast - The Impact of Minority Banks
- Black Leadership Advisory Council finalizes report to build a stronger, more inclusive Michigan
Council makes 11 recommendations to close racial equity gaps, deliver on the kitchen-table issues.
- Without ECIP Fix, Many Eligible CDFIs, MDIs Will Be Left Out of Key Investment Opportunity
Under the current regulations, community development financial institutions and minority depository institutions operating as Subchapter S or mutually owned banks may not be able to accept their full amount of eligible ECIP funds.
- DEI in Associations - Perceptions and Progress
- CFPB: Banks Providing Most Public D&I Information Among Financial Services Providers
Do Banks Pay Women and Minorities Less?
- How Sharing Our Stories Builds Inclusion
What are your thoughts on Maternal Bias - An exercise
- Mission Critical - Veterans on Bank Boards
- Expanding Financial Services Access for Justice-System Involved Individuals
- Treasury Names First Counselor for Racial Equity
- 2021 Crain's Detroit Business Notable LGBTQ in Business
The MBA congratulates our President and CEO, Rann Paynter, named to the 2021 Crain's Detroit Business Notable LGBTQ in Business. This award celebrates thirty-two LGBTQ professionals in Michigan who are making a major impact through their career accomplishments, their mentorship of others, and their involvement in community and industry organizations.
- PCBB - Seven Strategies To Gain & Retain Diverse Employees by Steve Brown
Attracting and retaining diverse workers could be important for the overall health of your
institution. Not only does it help lift up everyone, but it can also help the bottom line.
- Enslaved.org: Peoples of the Historic Slave Trade
August 23rd is International Day for the Remembrance of the Slave Trade and its Abolition. Here is a look at an important project happening at Michigan State University's searchable database containing millions of records cataloging the lives of enslaved Africans and their descendants — Enslaved.org — is launching a second phase that will accept contributions from the public and from academic researchers.
- The Importance of a Diverse Workforce in Transformative Times
- Debora Aydelotte, Managing Director, Head of Client Strategy, Promontory Mortgage Path - We all depend on talented teams of people to help us meet
customer needs and deliver services with excellence and integrity.
Part of being inclusive means the willingness to seek-out one
another’s contributions because of the value and richness their
diversity brings to an organization.